In order to make reference to in ballads
- to help make or sing ballads
- A popular variety of narrative poem adapted for recitation or performing due to the fact ballad of Chevy Chase esp a sentimental or romantic poem in short stanzas
- a narrative track with a recurrent refrain
- a narrative poem of well-known source
- A popular sorts of narrative poem, adjusted for recitation or singing; as, the ballad of Chevy Chase; esp., an emotional or intimate poem in a nutshell stanzas.
- which will make or sing ballads.
- To make reference to in ballads.
belated 15c., from French ballade "dancing tune" (13c.), from Old Proven
(letter.) A favorite form of narrative poem, adjusted for recitation or performing; as, the ballad of Chevy Chase; esp., a sentimental or romantic poem simply speaking stanzas.
- (v. i.) In order to make or sing ballads.
- (v. t.) Which will make reference to in ballads.
Johnny Armstrong of Gilnockie, famed in ballad and legend, was hanged, with forty of his clan, at Carlanrigg, in Teviotdale.