Of or with respect to Australia
- of or concerning or characteristic of Australia or its residents or its languages
- a native or inhabitant of Australia
- the Austronesian languages talked by Australian aborigines
- Of or regarding Australian Continent.
- A native or an inhabitant of Australian Continent.
1690s, in mention of aboriginal inhabitants, from Australia + -an. As an adjective by 1814. Australianism in message is attested from 1891.
(a.) Of or related to Australia.
- (n.) A native or an inhabitant of Australian Continent.
Accordingly their disproportionate prevalence in South America points unerringly to the lower rank of the avifauna of the region as a whole, and therefore to the propriety of putting it next in order to that of the Australian region, the general fauna of which is admittedly the lowest in the world.