extend in scope or range or location
- make (garments) bigger
- make larger
- become wider or wider or more extensive
- to create large or wider to give in breadth to increase the width of on broaden a field to widen a breach to broaden a stocking
- to cultivate wide or wider to expand to spread to increase
- which will make large or larger; to give in breadth; to increase the width of; as, to widen an industry; to expand a breach; to broaden a stocking.
- To grow wide or wider; to enlarge; to distribute; to extend.
c.1600 (transitive), from large + -en (1). Intransitive sense from 1709. Associated: Widened; widening.
(v. t.) To help make broad or wider; to extend in breadth; to boost the width of; as, to widen a field; to expand a breach; to broaden a stocking.
- (v. i.) to develop wide or larger; to enlarge; to spread; to increase.
The road began to widen and after a sharp bend she came into the tiny town indicated on the map.