type meaning in General Dictionary
write in the shape of a keyboard with kinds
- identify as owned by a specific type
- one of a specified type (usually with many eccentricities)
- (biology) the taxonomic group whoever traits are accustomed to establish another higher taxon
- printed figures
- all tokens of the identical logo
- a subdivision of a particular form of thing
- a little metal block bearing an elevated personality on a single end; produces a printed personality when inked and pressed in writing
- an incorporating kind signifying impressed type stamp print type typical kind agent as with stereotype phototype ferrotype monotype
- The mark or effect of anything stamp impressed indication emblem
- To portray by a kind model or sign in advance to prefigure
- The level or impression of some thing; stamp; impressed indication; emblem.
- Form or character impressed; design; semblance.
- A figure or representation of something in the future; a token; a sign; a symbol; -- correlative to antitype.
- what possesses or exemplifies characteristic characteristics; the representative.
- a broad kind or structure typical to a number of individuals; therefore, the perfect representation of a species, genus, or other-group, combining the essential attributes; a pet or plant possessing or exemplifying the fundamental characteristics of a types, genus, or other group. Additionally, friends or division of creatures having a particular typical or characteristic framework of body maintained within the team.
- the initial object, or class of items, scene, face, or conception, which becomes the main topic of a copy; esp., the style on the face of a medal or a coin.
- A simple substance, utilized as a mode or pattern to which various other compounds are conveniently thought to be being associated, and that they may be really or in theory derived.
- an elevated letter, figure, accent, or any other personality, cast in metal or cut in timber, found in printing.
- These types of letters or figures, generally, or even the entire volume of these utilized in printing, spoken of collectively; any number or mass of these types of letters or characters, but disposed.
- To represent by a kind, design, or image first; to prefigure.
- To provide an expression or copy of; to represent; to typify.
type meaning in Law Dictionary
Computer or real figures getting back together text and shows of reading matter.
type meaning in Etymology Dictionary
late 15c., "image, emblem," from Latin typus "figure, image, type, type," from Greek typos "a blow, dent, impression, mark, effect of a blow; figure in relief, image, statue; any such thing wrought of steel or rock; general form, personality; outline, design," from root of typtein "to hit, defeat," from PIE *tup-, variation of root *(s)teu- (1) "to press, stick, knock, beat" (see high (adj.)). Extensive 1713 to printing blocks with letters created on it in relief. This is "general kind or character of some kind, course" is attested in English from 1843, though it had that good sense in Latin and Greek. Becoming (a person's) kind "be the type of individual that person is interested in" is recorded from 1934.
- "to publish with a typewriter," 1888; see kind (n.). Previously it meant "to symbolize, typify" (1836) and "to foreshadow" (1590s). Relevant: Typed; typing.
type meaning in Business Dictionary
Computer (digital) or physical (metal) characters (letters, figures, symbols) that make up visual text and screen (captions, headlines, subheads) reading matter.
type - German to English
- bird [coll.]
- bod [Br.] [coll.]
- rare bird [rare or unique person]
type - French to English
- bloke [Br.] [coll.] [man]
type meaning in General Dictionary
(n.) The level or effect of one thing; stamp; impressed sign; emblem.
- (letter.) Form or personality impressed; design; semblance.
- (n.) A figure or representation of something ahead; a token; an indicator; emblematic; -- correlative to antitype.
- (n.) Whatever possesses or exemplifies characteristic qualities; the representative.
- (letter.) An over-all type or structure common to numerous individuals; ergo, the perfect representation of a species, genus, or any other group, incorporating the essential qualities; an animal or plant possessing or exemplifying the essential attributes of a species, genus, or any other team. In addition, friends or division of creatures having a certain typical or characteristic construction of body maintained in the team.
- (letter.) The initial object, or class of objects, scene, face, or conception, which becomes the subject of a copy; esp., the design regarding the face of a medal or a coin.
- (n.) A straightforward mixture, made use of as a mode or structure that other compounds are easily regarded as being relevant, and from where they could be really or theoretically derived.
- (n.) An increasing page, figure, accent, or other character, cast in metal or cut in wood, found in publishing.
- (letter.) These types of letters or characters, overall, or the whole level of all of them utilized in printing, talked of collectively; a range or mass of these letters or figures, but disposed.
- (v. t.) To express by a kind, model, or logo beforehand; to prefigure.
- (v. t.) To provide a manifestation or copy of; to portray; to typify.
Sentence Examples with the word type
The Cyprinidae' are divided into four subfamilies: - Catostosninae (mostly from North America, with a few species from China and eastern Siberia), in which the maxillary bones take a share in the border of the mouth, and the pharyngeal teeth are very numerous and form a single, comb-like series; Cyprininae, the great bulk of the family, more or less conforming to the type of the carp; Cobitinae, or loaches (Europe, Asia, Abyssinia), which are dealt with in a separate article (see LoAcH); and the Homalopterinae (China and south-eastern Asia), mountain forms allied to the loaches, with a quite rudimentary air-bladder.