- free some one briefly from his or her responsibilities
- accept titles, workplaces, tasks, obligations
- occupy and exercise as you's very own
- undertake as one's very own the costs or debts of some other individual
- seize and take close control without authority and possibly with force; take together's right or possession
- dominate ownership of; of corporations and companies
- occupy, by debts or repayments
In response to this request, the British authorities decided to take over Basutoland, and a proclamation of annexation was issued on the 12th of March 1868.