a protruding stomach
- The stomach and its items the stomach in addition the initial tummy or rumen of ruminants See Rumen
- To pierce or rip the belly of to eviscerate to disembowel
- The belly and its own articles; the abdomen; additionally, the first stomach, or rumen, of ruminants. See Rumen.
- A paunch pad; -- called in addition panch.
- The thickened rim of a bell, struck by the clapper.
- To pierce or rip the stomach of; to eviscerate; to disembowel.
- To stuff with meals.
belated 14c. (belated 12c. in surnames), from Old French pance (Old North French panche) "belly, belly," from Latin panticem (nominative pantex) "belly, bowels" (source additionally of Spanish panza, Italian pancia); perhaps regarding panus "inflammation" (see anxiety (n.2)).
Kutuzov sat up with one leg hanging down from the bed and his big paunch resting against the other which was doubled under him.