obtaining the indivisible character of a unit
- made use of of just one unit or thing; maybe not a couple of
- of the identical kind or quality
- being one entity produced by combining individual components
- (casual) very; utilized informally as an intensifier
- eminent beyond or above contrast
- long with time or position
- the tiniest whole number or a numeral representing this quantity
- a single individual or thing
- A suffix indicating that the material into the title which it appears is a ketone as acetone
- a cancellation indicating your hydrocarbon towards title of which its attached is one of the 4th number of hydrocarbons or the 3rd a number of unsaturated hydrocarbons as nonone
- Being a single unit or entire being or thing and no more not multifold single individual
- just one product together is the base of most numbers
- Any person indefinitely people or body as just what you would have done well you need to do ones self
- resulting in to be someone to gather into just one whole to unite to assimilite
- becoming just one unit, or whole being or thing, no more; not multifold; single; individual.
- Denoting you or thing conceived or talked of indefinitely; a certain. "I am the cousin of 1 Claudio" [Shak.], that is, of a certain guy known as Claudio.
- Pointing out a contrast, or denoting a particular thing or person not the same as various other specified; -- used as a correlative adjective, with or without the.
- Closely bound together; undivided; united; constituting a entire.
- Single in type; exactly the same; a common.
- solitary; inmarried.
- one device; since, one is the beds base of figures.
- A symbol representing a unit, as 1, or i.
- A single person or thing.
- anyone, indefinitely; you or human body; as, what you would have congratulations, one should do a person's self.
- resulting in in order to become one; to assemble into just one entire; to unite; to assimilite.
c.1200, from Old English an (adjective, pronoun, noun) "one," from Proto-Germanic *ainaz (cognates: Old Norse einn, Danish een, Old Frisian an, Dutch een, German ein, Gothic ains), from PIE *oi-no- "one, special" (cognates: Greek oinos "ace (on dice);" Latin unus "one;" Old Persian aivam; Old Church Slavonic -inu, ino-; Lithuanian vienas; Old Irish oin; Breton un "one"). Initially pronounced whilst is still in just, as well as in dialectal great 'un, youthful 'un, etc.; the now-standard pronunciation "wun" started c.14c. in southwest and west The united kingdomt (Tyndale, a Gloucester man, spells it won in his Bible interpretation), therefore started to be basic 18c. Usage as long pronoun affected by not related French on and Latin homo. One and only "sweetheart" is from 1906. One of those things "unpredictable incident" is from 1934. Slang one-arm bandit "a type of video slot" is taped by 1938. One-night stand is 1880 in performance feeling; 1963 in intimate good sense. The men "ordinary amiable other" is from 1893. One-track thoughts are from 1927. Consuming appearance one when it comes to road is from 1950 (as a song title).
Philosophically, maybe not lots but equal to product, unity, individuality, in contradistinction from multiplicity plus the mani-foldness of sensory experience. In metaphysics, the Supreme tip (Plato), absolutely the first principle (Neo-platonism), the universe (Parmenides), Being therefore and divine in general (Plotinus), Jesus (Nicolaus Cusanus), the soul (Lotze). Spiritual philosophy and mysticism, beginning with Indian viewpoint (s.v.), features preferred the designation for the One for the metaphysical world-ground, the ultimate icility, the world-soul, the principle of the world conceived as reason, nous, or higher personally. The main one might be conceived as an independent entire or as a sum, as analytic or synthetic, as concept or ontologically. Except by mysticism, its rarely stated an undeniable fact of physical experience, while its transcendent or transcendental, abstract nature is stressed, e.g., in epistemology where "I" or self is definitely the unitary history of private knowledge, the identification of self-consciousness, or perhaps the unity of consciousness in the synthesis associated with manifoldness of tips (Kant). -- K.F.L.
(a.) becoming a single product, or entire being or thing, with no much more; perhaps not multifold; single; individual.
- (a.) Denoting someone or thing conceived or talked of indefinitely; a certain. "i'm the sis of 1 Claudio" [Shak.], that is, of a certain man named Claudio.
- (a.) Pointing out a contrast, or denoting a specific thing or person not the same as several other specified; -- utilized as a correlative adjective, with or minus the.
- (a.) Closely bound together; undivided; united; constituting an entire.
- (a.) Single in kind; the same; a standard.
- (a.) solitary; inmarried.
- (letter.) An individual device; because, one is the beds base of most numbers.
- (letter.) A symbol representing a unit, as 1, or i.
- (n.) A single person or thing.
- (indef. pron.) Any person, indefinitely; one or body; since, what you would have well done, one should do an individual's self.
- (v. t.) Resulting in in order to become one; to assemble into a single entire; to unite; to assimilite.
He grabbed one of the Immortal books, fingering the soft, leather-like cover and transparent pages.