not this simply and; not merely so but
- a poor
- No a negative answer to a question asked or a request made now superseded by no in opposition to aye or yea See in addition Yes
- Denial refusal
- To refuse
- No; -- an adverse reply to a question requested, or a request made, now superseded by no. See Yes.
- maybe not this simply, additionally; not just therefore, but; -- familiar with mark the inclusion or substitution of a far more specific or more emphatic phrase.
- Denial; refusal.
- an adverse vote; one who votes within the unfavorable.
- To refuse.
word-of negation, belated 12c., from a Scandinavian supply such as for instance Old Norse nei, mixture of ne "not" (see un-) + ei "ever" (see aye (2)).
ney [also nai, nye, nay]
(adv.) Maybe not this just, but in addition; not only so, but; -- familiar with mark the addition or substitution of a far more specific or even more emphatic phrase.
- (n.) Denial; refusal.
- (n.) a poor vote; one that votes within the bad.
- (v. t. & i.) To refuse.
But in most creatures, nay in man himself, very often the brow is but a mere strip of alpine land lying along the snow line.