in a mellow fashion
- unhurried and calm
- having a full and pleasing taste through appropriate the aging process
- softened through age or knowledge
- slightly and pleasantly intoxicated from alcoholic beverages or a drug (especially cannabis)
- soften, make mellow
- are more calm, easygoing, or genial
- make or grow (more) mellow
- to help make mellow
- To become mellow as ripe fresh fruit quickly mellows
- smooth or tender by explanation of ripeness; having a tender pulp; since, a mellow apple.
- Effortlessly worked or penetrated; not hard or rigid; since, a mellow earth.
- Not coarse, harsh, or harsh; subdued; soft; rich; delicate; -- said of noise, color, taste, style, etc.
- Well matured; softened by years; genial; jovial.
- Warmed by alcohol; a little intoxicated.
- to help make mellow.
- to be mellow; as, ripe fruit soon mellows.
mid-15c., melwe "smooth, sweet, juicy" (of ready good fresh fruit), perhaps about melowe, variant of mele "ground grain" (see meal (2)), influenced by Middle English merow "smooth, tender," from Old English mearu. Indicating "slightly drunk" is from 1680s. Mellow yellow "banana peel smoked so that you can get high" is from 1967. Associated: Mellowly; mellowness.
- 1570s, from mellow (adj.). Associated: Mellowed; mellowing.
(superl.) Smooth or tender by reason of ripeness; having a tender pulp; because, a mellow apple.
- (superl.) Quickly worked or penetrated; easy or rigid; because, a mellow soil.
- (superl.) Not coarse, rough, or harsh; subdued; smooth; wealthy; delicate; -- said of sound, color, flavor, design, etc.
- (superl.) Well-matured; softened by many years; genial; jovial.
- (superl.) Warmed by liquor; somewhat intoxicated.
- (v. t.) To help make mellow.
- (v. i.) To become mellow; as, ready fruit quickly mellows.
To an exterior in these early years somewhat heavy and uncouth, he united a manner which, by universal testimony, was irresistibly winning, with a fund of genuine but simple humour and fun that would break out on the most unlikely occasions, and in after years enabled him to overcome difficulties and mellow refractory chiefs when all other methods f ailed.