anybody of several aquatic wed footed northern wild birds of the genus Urinator previously Colymbus noted with their expertness in scuba diving and swimming under water the most popular loon or great northern diver Urinator imber or Colymbus torquatus and red-throated loon or diver Urinator septentrionalis will be the most widely known species See Diver
- A sorry fellow a worthless person a rogue
- someone with baffled a few ideas; incapable of severe thought
- a worthless lazy other
- big significantly ancient fish-eating diving bird of this north hemisphere having webbed legs placed far back; associated with the grebes
- A sorry fellow; a worthless individual; a rogue.
- anybody of a number of aquatic, wed-footed, northern birds of genus Urinator (formerly Colymbus), noted for their expertness in diving and swimming under liquid. The typical loon, or great north diver (Urinator imber, or Colymbus torquatus), and red-throated loon or diver (U. septentrionalis), would be the most widely known species. See Diver.
huge diving bird (especially the Great Northern Diver), 1630s, from a Scandinavian source (compare Norwegian lom, from Old Norse lomr).
- "crazy individual," mid-15c., lowen "rascal," of unsure origin, possibly pertaining to Dutch loen "stupid person."
(n.) A sorry other; a worthless individual; a rogue.
The difficult route from Cerfennia to the valley of the Aternus - a drop of nearly loon ft., involving too the crossing of the main ridge of the Apennines (3675 ft.) by the Monslmeus(mod.