The tonic or first tone associated with scale in which a piece or passageway is written the fundamental tone for the chord to which most of the modulations for the piece are referred called additionally key tone
- the principal theme in a speech or literary work
- put the keynote of
- provide the keynote target to (a gathering)
- (music) 1st note of a diatonic scale
- a fundamental or central concept
- The tonic or first tone of the scale in which a piece or passage is written; the essential tone of this chord, that most of the modulations associated with piece are introduced; -- labeled as in addition crucial tone.
- the basic reality or concept; what provides key; because, the keynote of an insurance plan or a sermon.
in addition key-note, "lowest note of a musical scale, basis of a scale," 1776, from key (n.1) in sense of "musical scale" + note (n.). Figurative feeling of "leading concept" is from 1783; keynote address is 1905, United states English.
(n.) The tonic or first tone associated with the scale for which a bit or passage is written; might tone of this chord, that all modulations associated with the piece are known; -- called additionally key tone.
- (letter.) Might reality or idea; whatever gives the secret; as, the keynote of an insurance policy or a sermon.
The keynote of Buddhist asceticism is deliverance from life and its inevitable suffering.