The act of inflicting or imposing whilst the infliction of torment or of punishment
- one thing or somebody that causes difficulty; a source of unhappiness
- the act of imposing some thing (as a tax or an embargo)
- an act causing discomfort or harm
- The work of inflicting or imposing; because, the infliction of torment, or of punishment.
- That which is inflicted or imposed, as discipline, disgrace, calamity, etc.
1530s, from later Latin inflictionem (nominative inflictio) "an inflicting, a striking against," noun of action from past participle stem of Latin infligere (see inflict).
(letter.) The act of inflicting or imposing; since, the infliction of torment, or of punishment.
- (n.) Whatever is inflicted or imposed, as discipline, disgrace, calamity, etc.
The act of paying is perhaps the most uncomfortable infliction that the two orchard thieves entailed upon us.