The scum or refuse matter which can be tossed off or falls from metals in smelting the ore or in the entire process of melting recrement
- the scum created by oxidation during the area of molten metals
- useless or dangerous material that should be eliminated
- The scum or decline matter which can be thrown down, or falls from, metals in smelting the ore, or in the process of melting; recrement.
- Rust of metals.
- waste material; any useless matter divided from the better part; leavings; dregs; refuse.
"dirt, dregs," Old English dros "the scum thrown faraway from metals in smelting," from Proto-Germanic *drohs- (cognates: center Dutch droes, Dutch droesem, Middle Low German dros, Old High German truosana, German Drusen "dregs, husks"), from PIE dher- (1) "to create dirty." Indicating "refuse, rubbish" is mid-15c.
(n.) The scum or refuse matter that will be thrown down, or drops from, metals in smelting the ore, or in the entire process of melting; recrement.
- (letter.) Rust of metals.
- (letter.) Waste matter; every worthless matter separated through the better part; leavings; dregs; refuse.
The last distinctive epithet was derived from the little hamlet in the vicinity which furnished shelter, not only to the workmen, but to the monks of St Jerome who were afterwards to be in possession of the monastery; and the hamlet itself is generally but perhaps erroneously supposed to be indebted for its name to the scoriae or dross of certain old iron mines.