To utter or make a reduced dull monotonous humming or murmuring noise
- The male of bees esp associated with the honeybee It gathers no honey See Honeybee
- talk in a monotonous voice
- make a monotonous low lifeless noise
- an individual who takes more hours than required; a person who lags behind
- an unchanging intonation
- a plane without a pilot that is operated by handheld remote control
- a pipe associated with bagpipe which tuned to produce just one continuous tone
- stingless male bee in a colony of social bees (especially honeybees) whose only purpose should mate using the queen
- The male of bees, esp. regarding the honeybee. It gathers no honey. See Honeybee.
- One who life on labors of other people; a lazy, idle fellow; a sluggard.
- That which provides a grave or monotonous tone or lifeless noise; as: (a) A drum. [Obs.] Halliwell. (b) The part of the bagpipe containing the 2 lowest tubes, which constantly sound the main element note and the 5th.
- A humming or deep murmuring sound.
- A monotonous bass, like in a pastoral composition.
- To utter or make a low, lifeless, monotonous, humming or murmuring noise.
- To love in idleness; doing absolutely nothing.
Old English dran, dr
(v. i.) A person who life regarding the labors of other people; a lazy, idle fellow; a sluggard.
- (v. i.) Whatever gives out a grave or monotonous tone or lifeless sound; as: (a) A drum. [Obs.] Halliwell. (b) The area of the bagpipe containing both cheapest tubes, which always sound the key note as well as the fifth.
- (v. i.) A humming or deep murmuring noise.
- (v. i.) A monotonous bass, such as a pastoral structure.
- (n.) To utter or make a low, lifeless, monotonous, humming or murmuring sound.
- (n.) To love-in-idleness; to complete nothing.
Weismann, however, doubts these conclusions, and having found a spermaster in every one of the eggs that he examined from workercells, and in only one out of 272 eggs taken from drone-cells, he supports Dzierzon's view, explaining the single exception mentioned above as a mistake of the queen, she having laid inadvertently this single fertilized egg in a drone instead of in a worker cell.