The act of evading by some skillful activity a sudden beginning aside ergo an artful unit to avoid deceive or cheat a cunning strategy an artifice
- To evade by a-sudden move of location to escape by beginning aside regarding dodge a blow directed or a ball tossed
- to begin unexpectedly apart on stay away from a blow or a missile to move location by an abrupt begin
- proceed to and fro or from spot to spot generally in an irregular program
- make a rapid movement in an innovative new path in order to avoid
- prevent or stay away from satisfying, responding to, or doing (obligations, concerns, or dilemmas)
- a statement that evades issue by cleverness or trickery
- a more elaborate or deceitful system contrived to deceive or avoid
- a fast elusive movement
- to start out all of a sudden aside, as to prevent a blow or a missile; to move location by a-sudden start.
- To avoid a duty by reduced craft; to apply mean shifts; to utilize challenging devices; to play quick and loose; to quibble.
- To evade by a rapid change of spot; to flee by starting aside; as, to dodge a blow directed or a basketball tossed.
- Fig.: To evade by art; as, to dodge a concern; to dodge obligation.
- to follow along with by dodging, or suddenly shifting from destination to destination.
- The work of evading by some skillful activity; an abrupt beginning aside; thus, an artful product to avoid, deceive, or cheat; a cunning strategy; an artifice.
"person's method of earning money," 1842, slang, from dodge (v.).
- "to move backward and forward" (especially in an attempt to stay away from some thing), 1560s, beginning and sense evolution obscure, possibly similar to Scottish dodd "to jog." Typical from early 18c. in figurative feeling of "to swindle, to try out moving tips." Associated: Dodged; dodging.
(v. i.) to begin all of a sudden apart, as to prevent a blow or a missile; to shift place by an abrupt begin.
- (v. i.) To avoid a duty by low art; to practice mean shifts; to utilize challenging products; to play quick and free; to quibble.
- (v. t.) To avoid by a rapid shift of location; to flee by beginning aside; as, to dodge a blow aimed or a ball thrown.
- (v. t.) Fig.: To avoid by art; because, to dodge a concern; to dodge obligation.
- (v. t.) To follow by dodging, or unexpectedly shifting from spot to destination.
- (n.) The act of evading by some skillful activity; a sudden beginning aside; for this reason, an artful product to avoid, deceive, or cheat; a cunning strategy; an artifice.
BEAVER DAM, a city of Dodge county, Wisconsin, U.S.A., situated in the S.E.