An assertion regarding the unlike exactly what is stated or affirmed denial for the truth of a statement or assertion contrary declaration gainsaying
- opposition between two conflicting causes or a few ideas
- (logic) a declaration which fundamentally false
- the address act of contradicting somebody
- An assertion for the unlike exactly what has been stated or affirmed; denial for the truth of a statement or assertion; contrary declaration; gainsaying.
- Direct resistance or repugnancy; inconsistency; incongruity or contrariety; one who, or that which, is inconsistent.
belated 14c., from Old French contradiction or straight from Latin contradictionem (nominative contradictio) "a reply, objection, counterargument," noun of action from previous participle stem of contradicere, in ancient Latin contra dicere "to speak against," from contra "against" (see contra) + dicere "to talk" (see diction).
She acted in contradiction to all those rules.