packed with caverns resembling a cavern or huge hole hollow
- becoming or suggesting a cavern
- filled with vascular sinuses and effective at becoming swollen and rigid because of becoming filled up with blood
- high in caverns; resembling a cavern or large cavity; hollow.
- filled up with small cavities or cells.
- Having a sound brought on by a cavity.
c.1400, "full of caverns," from Latin cavernosus "full of cavities" (source in addition of Italian cavernoso, French caverneux), from caverna (see cavern). Meaning "hollow" is recorded from 1830.
The cavernous limestone of Kentucky covers an area of 8000 sq.