to be turned into a stony or calcareous condition in which lime is a principal ingredient as with the forming of teeth
- to create stony or calcareous by the deposit or secretion of salts of lime
- develop into lime; become calcified
- come to be impregnated with calcium salts
- become inflexible and unchanging
- convert into lime
- to create stony or calcareous because of the deposit or secretion of salts of lime.
- In order to become became a stony or calcareous problem, which lime is a main ingredient, like in the synthesis of teeth.
1785 (suggested in calcified), from French calcifier, from stem of Latin calcem "lime" (see chalk (letter.)) + -fy. Associated: Calcifying; calcification.