A captive a prisoner
- Captive wretched unfortunate
- despicably mean and cowardly
- a cowardly and despicable person
- Captive; wretched; regrettable.
- Base; sinful and mean; cowardly; despicable.
- A captive; a prisoner.
- A wretched or unfortunate guy.
- A mean, despicable individual; one whoever character meanness and wickedness meet.
c.1300, "wicked, base, cowardly," from Old North French caitive "captive, unhappy" (Old French chaitif, 12c., contemporary French ch
- c.1300, "wicked guy, scoundrel," from Anglo-French caitif, noun usage from Old North French caitive "captive, unhappy" (see caitiff (adj.)). From mid-14c as "prisoner."