to put up at key or buttonhole to detain in conversation to weariness to bore as he buttonholed me a quarter of one hour
- The hole or loop by which a button is caught
- detain in conversation by or as though by securing towards the external garments of; in terms of governmental or financial favors
- a hole whereby buttons are forced
- the opening or cycle by which a button is caught.
- to put on at key or buttonhole; to detain in conversation to weariness; to bore; because, he buttonholed myself a-quarter of an hour.
(letter.) The opening or cycle which a button is caught.
- (v. t.) To put up at button or buttonhole; to detain in conversation to weariness; to bore; since, he buttonholed me 25 % of one hour.
He was clean-shaven and wore a Guardsman's padded coat with an Order of St. George at his buttonhole and a plain forage cap set straight on his head.