getting the faculties of a booby stupid
- an ignorant or foolish individual
- small tropical gannet having a bright costs or brilliant legs or both
- A dunce; a stupid other.
- A swimming bird (Sula dietary fiber or S. sula) associated with the typical gannet, and found when you look at the western Indies, nesting regarding the bare stones. It's so called due to its evident stupidity. The name normally occasionally applied to various other species of gannets; because, S. piscator, the red-footed booby.
- A species of penguin for the antarctic seas.
- obtaining the traits of a booby; stupid.
1590s, from Spanish bobo "stupid person, sluggish bird" (used of varied ungainly seabirds), most likely from Latin balbus "stammering," from an imitative root (see barbarian). Booby prize is through 1883: an item of little worth given to the loser of a casino game; booby trap is 1850, originally a schoolboy prank; the greater deadly feeling created during World War I. After every session the dominie had the satirical custom of presenting his tawse as a "booby-prize" for some idle or stupid lout who he chosen as meriting this distinction in order that the next occasion they met he may start fresh and fair with brand-new set for a fresh group of courses. [Ascott R. Hope, "Dumps," "younger England" magazine, 1883]
(letter.) A dunce; a stupid fellow.
- (letter.) A swimming bird (Sula fiber or S. sula) about the typical gannet, and found in West Indies, nesting regarding bare stones. It's so named because of its apparent stupidity. Title normally often applied to other types of gannets; since, S. piscator, the red-footed booby.
- (letter.) A species of penguin of this antarctic seas.
- (a.) Having the faculties of a booby; stupid.