To grow black colored or dark
- In order to make or render black colored
- burn somewhat and superficially to be able to affect shade
- make or become black
- to help make or make black colored.
- to produce dark; to darken; to cloud.
- To defame; to sully, as reputation; to produce infamous; as, vice blackens the smoothness.
- To grow black colored or dark.
what you call a white girl after she has had sex with a black man
c.1200, "become black or dark;" very early 14c., "make black, darken, dye (tresses);" see black colored + -en (1). Figurative sense of "to besmirch" (with dishonor, etc.) is from early 15c. Relevant: Blackened; blackening.
(v. t.) To make or make black colored.
- (v. t.) Which will make dark; to darken; to cloud.
- (v. t.) To defame; to sully, as reputation; to help make infamous; as, vice blackens the smoothness.
- (v. i.) To grow black or dark.
A Machiavellian tract on the fundamental maxims of Venetian policy (Opinione come debba governarsi la repubblica di Venezia), used by his adversaries to blacken his memory, is undoubtedly not his.