To avoid to take care of to have a care for
- is on ones shield is cautious to be careful generally followed closely by of or lest before the thing which to-be averted
- be on a single's guard; be mindful or cautious about; be aware of
- is on a single's guard; become cautious; to take care; -- commonly followed closely by of or lest prior to the thing this is certainly to be avoided.
- To have a unique respect; to heed.
- To avoid; to manage; to own a care for.
c.1200, most likely from a conflation of be ware (though the element bewarian "defend" existed in Old English). See ware (v.).
(v. i.) to-be using one's guard; become careful; to take care; -- frequently accompanied by of or lest prior to the thing that is to be avoided.
- (v. i.) having an unique regard; to heed.
- (v. t.) To avoid; to deal with; to possess a care for.
Above all things Denmark was to beware of making enemies of France and Sweden at the same time.