To sweep just like a besom
- A brush of twigs for sweeping a broom something which sweeps away or destroys
- a broom made of twigs tied up collectively on a long handle
- A brush of twigs for sweeping; a broom; anything which sweeps away or destroys.
- To sweep, as with a besom.
Old English besma "bundle of twigs" (used as a broom or a flail), from West Germanic *besmon (cognates: Old Frisian besma, Old Saxon besmo, Old High German besmo, German Besen, Dutch bezem), that is of as yet not known source. Perhaps "one thing bound or twisted," from PIE *bheidh-.
(n.) A brush of twigs for sweeping; a broom; such a thing which sweeps away or destroys.
- (v. t.) To sweep, just like a besom.