To ply vigilantly working very carefully upon
- beat soundly
- to the office at or to ridiculous length
- attack verbally with harsh criticism
- To ply diligently; to your workplace carefully upon.
- to conquer peacefully; to cudgel.
1590s, "to use one's energy upon," from be- + labor (v.). But figurative sense of "assail with words" is attested somewhat earlier on (1590s); and belabored is attested from mid-15c. with a feeling of "tilled, cultivated."
(v. t.) To ply faithfully; to focus carefully upon.
- (v. t.) To beat soundly; to cudgel.
Ah, when one looks at our young people, Prince, one would like to take Peter the Great's old cudgel out of the museum and belabor them in the Russian way till all the nonsense jumps out of them.