In an indigent mean or despicable manner in the manner of a beggar
- in condition of or like a beggar appropriate a beggar exceedingly indigent poverty-stricken imply poor contemptible
- marked by poverty befitting a beggar
- (used of sums of income) so tiny in quantity concerning need contempt
- inside condition of, or like, a beggar; appropriate a beggar; extremely indigent; poverty-stricken; mean; bad; contemptible.
- created or occasioned by beggary.
- In an indigent, suggest, or despicable fashion; in the manner of a beggar.
1520s, from beggar (n.) + -ly (1).
(a.) Inside condition of, or like, a beggar; ideal for a beggar; acutely indigent; poverty-stricken; mean; poor; contemptible.
- (a.) Produced or occasioned by beggary.
- (adv.) In an indigent, mean, or despicable way; in how of a beggar.
Sometimes Ulysses is represented as aged and worn by toil, so that Penelope, for instance, cannot recognize him; sometimes he is really in the prime of heroic vigour, and his appearing as a beggarly old man is the work of Athena's wand.