Made smooth by beating or treading worn by use
- created or made slim by hammering
- much trodden and used smooth or bare
- of overcome
- Made smooth by beating or treading; worn by usage.
- Vanquished; conquered; baffled.
- fatigued; tired away.
- get typical or trite; as, a beaten phrase.
- used; practiced.
"hammered" (of steel, etc.), c.1300, from past participle of beat (v.), which alternates with beat with some distinctions of good sense. Meaning "defeated" is from 1560s; that of "repeatedly hit" is from 1590s.
- (a.) Made smooth by beating or treading; donned by use.
- (a.) Vanquished; conquered; baffled.
- (a.) fatigued; exhausted out.
- (a.) Become common or trite; since, a beaten expression.
- (a.) Tried; practiced.
Dean turned away and like a beaten boxer long after the bell had sounded, slowly returned to his room.