Oppressing with anxiety or horror appalling terrible as a horrible scene
- utilized as intensifiers
- severe in level or degree or amount or effect
- influenced by a feeling of scared wonderment or reverence
- unpleasant if not (of persons) malicious
- inspiring awe or admiration or question
- exceptionally bad or displeasing
- causing concern or fear or horror
- Oppressing with anxiety or scary; appalling; awful; because, an awful scene.
- Inspiring awe; completing with profound reverence, or with worry and admiration; fitted to motivate reverential anxiety; profoundly impressive.
- Struck or filled up with awe; terror-stricken.
- Worshipful; reverential; law-abiding.
- Frightful; exceedingly bad; great; -- used intensively; as, a terrible bonnet; a horrible boaster.
c.1300, agheful "worthy of respect or concern," from aghe, a youthful kind of awe (n.), + -ful. The Old English term was egefull. Weakened feeling "very bad" is from 1809; damaged feeling of "exceedingly" is through 1818.
(a.) Oppressing with worry or horror; appalling; awful; since, a terrible scene.
- (a.) Inspiring awe; completing with profound reverence, or with anxiety and admiration; suited to motivate reverential fear; profoundly impressive.
- (a.) Struck or filled with awe; terror-stricken.
- (a.) Worshipful; reverential; law-abiding.
- (a.) Frightful; extremely bad; great; -- used intensively; as, a terrible bonnet; a horrible boaster.
For a moment her heart leapt, fearful their light had died permanently, trapping them in this awful place.