a calling away a diversion
- an auxiliary activity
- A calling away; a diversion.
- what calls one from an individual's regular employment or vocation.
- Pursuits; responsibilities; affairs which take your time; normal work; vocation.
pastime that any particular one likes to do when they are no longer working.
1520s, "a calling far from your career," from Latin avocationem (nominative avocatio) "a calling away, distraction, diversion," noun of action from past participle stem of avocare, from ab- "off, from" (see ab-) + vocare "to call" (see vocals (n.)).
a devoted activity or hobby; some thing some body does for fun. "we focus on the pc from day to night, but when I leave work, my avocation is hiking."
(n.) A calling away; a diversion.
- (n.) Whatever calls one from an individual's regular employment or vocation.
- (n.) Pursuits; obligations; affairs which occupy an individual's time; usual work; vocation.
The room was a-chatter with foreign conversation, the words having nothing to do with national roots but the fanatic avocation of the gathered guests.