1723, "sentence passed away by the Inquisition" (plural autos-da-f
the burning to death of heretics (as during Spanish Inquisition)
- A judgment associated with the Inquisition in Spain and Portugal condemning or acquitting persons accused of spiritual offenses.
- An execution of such phrase, because of the municipal power, esp. the burning of a heretic. It had been frequently held on Sunday, and had been made a great public solemnity by impressive types and ceremonies.
- a session of the courtroom of Inquisition.
(letter.) A judgment of the Inquisition in Spain and Portugal condemning or acquitting individuals accused of spiritual offenses.
- (n.) An execution of these sentence, by the municipal power, esp. the burning of a heretic. It absolutely was usually held on Sunday, and was made a fantastic general public solemnity by impressive kinds and ceremonies.
- (letter.) A session associated with the court of Inquisition.