Having omens or tokens of a great concern offering vow of success prosperity or pleasure forecasting good as an auspicious beginning
- auguring positive conditions and good-luck
- Having omens or tokens of a favorable problem; giving vow of success, prosperity, or delight; predicting good; since, an auspicious beginning.
- Prosperous; fortunate; as, auspicious many years.
- Favoring; positive; propitious; -- put on persons or things.
1590s, "of good omen" (suggested in auspiciously), from Latin auspicium "divination by watching the journey of wild birds," from auspex (genitive auspicis) + -ous. Relevant: Auspiciously; auspiciousness.
(a.) Having omens or tokens of a great concern; giving promise of success, success, or pleasure; forecasting good; since, an auspicious start.
- (a.) Prosperous; fortunate; because, auspicious many years.
- (a.) Favoring; positive; propitious; -- put on people or things.
He said there was an auspicious beginning.