a word that denotes a feature esp a modifying word joined to a noun an adjective or adjective expression
- Attributing related to expressing or assigning an attribute for the nature of an attribute
- of adjectives; put before the nouns they modify
- Attributing; with respect to, articulating, or assigning a characteristic; associated with nature of an attribute.
- A word that denotes an attribute; esp. a modifying word joined up with to a noun; an adjective or adjective phrase.
c.1600, from French attributif, from stem of Latin attributus (see attribute (v.)). As a noun, in sentence structure, from 1750. Associated: Attributively; attributiveness.
(a.) Attributing; regarding, revealing, or assigning an attribute; of nature of an attribute.
- (n.) A word that denotes an attribute; esp. a modifying word joined to a noun; an adjective or adjective expression.
Mill, has been disputed on the ground that adjectives are applied both to concrete and to abstract terms. Hence some logicians make a separate class for adjectives, as being the names neither of things nor of qualities, and describe them as Attributive terms.