To reduce modify or moderate by combination to temper to modify as temperature
- modify the heat of
- To reduce, change, or reasonable, by blend; to temperament; to regulate, as temperature.
- To soften, mollify, or moderate; to soothe; to mood;u000du000a since, to attemper rigid justice with clemency.
- to combine within percentage; to regulate; as, a mind well-attempered with kindness and justice.
- to allow for; to create ideal; to adjust.
late 14c., from Old French attemprer, from Latin attemperare, from ad- "to" (see ad-) + temperare (see temper (v.)). Associated: Attempered; attempering.
(v. t.) To cut back, alter, or modest, by mixture; to temper; to regulate, as heat.
- (v. t.) To soften, mollify, or modest; to soothe; to temper; since, to attemper rigid justice with clemency.
- (v. t.) To mix in only percentage; to manage; because, a mind well attempered with kindness and justice.
- (v. t.) To support; to produce suitable; to adapt.