In or at hinder section of a ship toward the hinder part or stern backward regarding get astern
- stern foremost or backwards
- (of a ship or an airplane) behind
- at or near or toward the stern of a ship or end of an airplane
- In or within hinder part of a ship; toward the impede component, or stern; backward; since, going astern.
- Behind a ship; in back.
1620s, from a- (1) "on" + stern (n.).
- Michaelmas daisies [Am.] [genus Aster]
(adv.) In or at the hinder element of a ship; toward the impede component, or stern; backward; since, to go astern.
- (adv.) Behind a ship; within the back.
For as in this world, head winds are far more prevalent than winds from astern (that is, if you never violate the Pythagorean maxim), so for the most part the Commodore on the quarter-deck gets his atmosphere at second hand from the sailors on the forecastle.