Wanting art knowledge or ability ignorant unskillful
- showing lack of art
- (of persons) lacking art or understanding
- described as an inability to mask your emotions; not devious
- simple and easy all-natural; without cunning or deceit
- Wanting art, understanding, or ability; ignorant; unskillful.
- Contrived without skill or art; inartistic.
- clear of guile, art, craft, or stratagem; characterized by simplicity and sincerity; sincere; guileless; ingenuous; honest; as, an artless head; an artless story.
1580s, "unskillful," from art (n.) + -less. Later on also "uncultured" (1590s); then "unartificial, normal" (1670s) and "guileless, ingenuous" (1714). Relevant: Artlessly; artlessness.
(a.) Wanting art, understanding, or ability; ignorant; unskillful.
- (a.) Contrived without ability or art; inartistic.
- (a.) Free from guile, art, craft, or stratagem; described as simpleness and sincerity; honest; guileless; ingenuous; truthful; as, an artless mind; an artless story.
On the field between Borodino and the fleches, beside the wood, the chief action of the day took place on an open space visible from both sides and was fought in the simplest and most artless way.