Making or obtaining the personality which will make inflated statements of ranking or estimation providing ones self an undue degree of importance assuming haughty applied to individuals
- having or showing thoughts of unwarranted importance regarding overbearing pleasure
- generating, or getting the disposition in order to make, exorbitant statements of rank or estimation; offering an individual's self an excessive level of value; presuming; haughty; -- put on people.
- Containing arrogance; marked with arrogance; proceeding from excessive statements or self-importance; -- placed on things; as, arrogant pretensions or behavior.
late 14c., from Old French arrogant (14c.), from Latin arrogantem (nominative arrogans) "assuming, overbearing, insolent," current participle of arrogare (see arrogance). Associated: Arrogantly.
- cocksure [pej.]
- high and mighty
- jumped-up [coll.]
- orgulous [archaic or literary] [haughty]
- exceptional [haughty]
(a.) Making, or getting the personality which will make, inflated statements of ranking or estimation; offering one's self an undue level of value; presuming; haughty; -- put on individuals.
- (a.) Containing arrogance; marked with arrogance; proceeding from excessive claims or self-importance; -- put on things; as, arrogant pretensions or behavior.
Their arrogant contempt for our opinion is a national disgrace.