A musical response additionally antiphonal chanting or signing
- alternative (responsive) performing by a choir in 2 parts
- a verse or tune to be chanted or sung as a result
- A musical response; additionally, antiphonal chanting or signing.
- An anthem or psalm sung alternately by a choir or congregation divided into two parts. Additionally figuratively.
1590s, from Greek antiphonos (view antiphon) + -y (1).
(n.) A musical reaction; also, antiphonal chanting or signing.
- (letter.) An anthem or psalm sung alternately by a choir or congregation split into two components. In addition figuratively.