a novel of antiphons or anthems
- Of or pertaining to antiphony or alternate performing sung alternately by a divided choir or other choirs
- containing or making use of answers; alternating
- regarding or resembling an antiphon or antiphony
- bound assortment of antiphons
- Of or pertaining to antiphony, or alternative singing; sung alternatively by a divided choir or other choirs.
- a novel of antiphons or anthems.
1719, from antiphon + -al. Relevant: Antiphonally.
(a.) Of or regarding antiphony, or alternate singing; sung alternately by a divided choir or opposing choirs.
- (letter.) A novel of antiphons or anthems.
The two friends assembled their adherents outside the city walls for the observance of the exercises of religion; and, according to Theodoret, it was in these meetings that the practice of antiphonal singing was first introduced in the services of the church.