Opposition of activity counteraction or contrariety of things or maxims
- an actively expressed sense of dislike and hostility
- the relation between opposing axioms or causes or elements
- a state of deep-seated ill-will
- (biochemistry) disturbance in or inhibition associated with physiological activity of a substance by another having an equivalent structure
- Opposition of action; counteraction or contrariety of things or maxims.
1797, from French antagonisme or right from belated Greek antagonisma, noun of activity from antagonizesthai "to struggle against" (see antagonist).
Term familiar with refer to what happens whenever substance is subjected to another chemical.
(letter.) Opposition of action; counteraction or contrariety of things or maxims.
The extremest form of antagonism is pure scepticism or pure agnosticism, the assertion that nothing can be known.