going reasonably slow but distinct and moving quicker than larghetto and slower than allegretto
- at a moderately slow tempo
- (of tempo) moderately sluggish
- a moderately slow tempo (a walking pace)
- a music composition or music passage become performed moderately sluggish
- Moving averagely slow, but distinct and flowing; quicker than larghetto, and slower than allegretto.
- A movement or piece in andante time.
music way, "moderately slow," 1742, from Italian andante, current participle of andare "going," from Vulgar Latin ambitare (source of Spanish andar "to go"), from Latin ambitus, past participle of ambire "going round, start" (see background).
sluggish, moving movement. (recreation: Rhythmic Gymnastics)
(a.) Moving reasonably sluggish, but distinct and flowing; quicker than larghetto, and slower than allegretto.
- (letter.) A movement or piece in andante time.