Easy to be led governable as a female by her husband
- tuned in to recommendations and affects
- open to being put to work in a specific means
- liable to reply to a greater authority
- disposed or willing to conform
- an easy task to be led; governable, as a woman by her husband.
- prone to be delivered to account or punishment; answerable; accountable; responsible; as, amenable to law.
- prone to punishment, a charge, a claim, etc.
- prepared to produce or send; sensitive; tractable.
tuned in to guidance, authority, or suggestion; ready
at the mercy of response to the ..aw; responsible; responsible; prone to punishment. Miller v. Com., 1 Duv. (Ky.) 17. Does mean tractable, which may be easily led or influenced: formerly put on a wife who's governable by the woman husband. Cowell.
1590s, "liable," from Anglo-French amenable, center French amener "answerable" (towards the legislation), from
(a.) an easy task to be led; governable, as a lady by her spouse.
- (a.) Liable to be brought to account or punishment; answerable; accountable; accountable; because, amenable to law.
- (a.) Liable to punishment, a charge, a claim, etc.
- (a.) prepared to yield or publish; sensitive; tractable.
But above all things the church was being criticized as an imperium in imperio, a privileged body not amenable to ordinary jurisdiction, and subservient to a foreign lordthe pope.