In or even to the front ahead of time onward
- toward tomorrow; forward eventually
- to an even more higher level or advantageous position
- to another or a far more advanced level time (definition advanced often toward today's or toward the long run)
- leading or ahead in a competition
- in a forward course
- in advance; in anticipation
- at or perhaps in the leading
- obtaining the leading position or maybe more rating in a contest
- In or to the front; beforehand; onward.
- Headlong; without discipline.
1620s, "at the pinnacle, ahead," from a- "on" (see a- (1)) + head (n.). Initially nautical. To-be ahead of (one's) time attested by 1837.
(adv.) In or even leading; in advance; onward.
- (adv.) Headlong; without discipline.
And so, if the railroad reached round the world, I think that I should keep ahead of you; and as for seeing the country and getting experience of that kind, I should have to cut your acquaintance altogether.