The cause of continued discomfort of human body or head as vomiting losings etc an example of grievous stress a pain or grief
- a condition of suffering or stress because of ill health
- a situation of great suffering and stress because adversity
- a cause of great suffering and stress
- the reason for continued discomfort of human body or brain, as sickness, losings, etc.; an instance of grievous stress; a discomfort or grief.
- hawaii to be afflicted; a state of discomfort, stress, or grief.
c.1300, from Old French afliction (11c.), from Latin afflictionem (nominative afflictio), noun of action from past participle stem of affligere (see afflict).
ailment [illness, reason for struggling]
(letter.) The reason for continued discomfort of human body or mind, as vomiting, losings, etc.; an example of grievous stress; a pain or grief.
- (n.) Hawaii of being afflicted; circumstances of discomfort, stress, or grief.
My heart went out to the lonely man who ate the bread of affliction in Grub Street, and yet, in the midst of toil and cruel suffering of body and soul, always had a kind word, and lent a helping hand to the poor and despised.