an individual animal or plant cultivated to full-size and strength a person who has now reached readiness
- Having reached maturity or even to full size and energy matured as an adult individual or plant an adult ape an adult age
- built to arouse lust
- (of animals) completely developed
- a completely developed individual from readiness onward
- any mature pet
- Having attained readiness, or to full size and energy; matured; because, a grownup person or plant; a grown-up ape; a grownup age.
- people, pet, or plant grown to full size and energy; one that has reached readiness.
In the civil-law. A male infant who's got gained age fourteen ; women baby who's obtained age twelve. Dom. Liv. Prel. tit. 2,
1530s (although not common until mid-17c.), from Latin adultus "grown up, grow, adult, ripe," past participle of adolescere "grow up, mature" (see adolescent). As a euphemism for "pornographic," it dates to 1958 and does no honor towards the word.
- "adult individual," 1650s, from person (adj.).
1. Law: one who has already reached the appropriate age vast majority. In the US, it is 17 years for unlawful instances and 18 years for other reasons. In the UK it really is 18 years for several purposes. See additionally appropriate age. 2. Travel industry: individual who has reached their 12th birthday celebration on or before the day the travel commences.
(a.) Having reached maturity, or to full-size and strength; matured; because, a grownup person or plant; a grown-up ape; a grownup age.
- (letter.) People, animal, or plant grown to full-size and power; a person who has now reached maturity.
The general colour of the upper parts and sides of the adult is a tawny yellowish brown, sometimes having a grey or silvery shade, but in some cases dark or inclining to red; and upon these and other differences, which are probably constant locally, a number of sub-species have been named.