Toward the stern aft on go abaft
- Behind toward the stern from as abaft the wheelhouse
- at or near or toward the stern of a ship or end of an airplane
- at the rear of; toward the stern from; as, abaft the wheelhouse.
- Toward the stern; aft; because, going abaft.
On or toward the trunk of a ship.
"in or behind part of a ship" (in opposition to ahead), 1590s, from Middle English on baft (Old English on b
Nearer the stern than one or device. (sport: Yachting)
(prep.) Behind; toward the stern off; as, abaft the wheelhouse.
- (adv.) Toward the stern; aft; because, going abaft.
Thus the part of B caused by the permanent magnetism of hard iron must be corrected by permanent magnets horizontally placed in a fore and aft direction; the other part caused by vertical soft iron by means of bars of vertical soft iron, called Flinders bars, before or abaft the compass.