- towards the trunk or backside backward
- getting the wind contrary to the forward region of the sails
- by surprise
- Toward the rear or rear; backward.
- Behind; in rear.
- Backward resistant to the mast; -- said regarding the sails whenever pushed by the wind.
- An abacus.
c.1200, from Old English on b
if the wind is regarding incorrect region of the sail. (sport: Yachting)
(adv.) Toward the trunk or rear; backwards.
- (adv.) Behind; in back.
- (adv.) Backward resistant to the mast; -- said of the sails whenever pressed by the wind.
- (n.) An abacus.
Although taken aback by such intimacy from a stranger, as well as terrified himself, he felt an overwhelming need to comfort her.