you in holy orders or consecrated on solution of the chapel and the ministry of faith a clergyman a priest
- Of or pertaining to the church See Ecclesiastical
- of or associated with a church (especially a Christian chapel)
- a clergyman or other individual in spiritual requests
- Of or related to the church. See Ecclesiastical.
- one in holy purchases, or consecrated into service of the church together with ministry of religion; a clergyman; a priest.
n. A clergyman; a priest; a man consecrated on solution of church.
late 15c., from center French eccl
(n.) One in holy requests, or consecrated into solution associated with the church and ministry of religion; a clergyman; a priest.
As a statesman he was able, resolute, and in his general policy patriotic. As an ecclesiastic he maintained the privileges of the hierarchy and the dominant system of belief conscientiously, but always with harshness and sometimes with cruelty.