What does Calculi, renal mean?

Calculi, renal meaning in Medical Dictionary

Kidney rocks, by another title. A standard cause of blood in the urine and pain into the abdomen, flank, or groin. Happens in 1 in 20 people sometime in their life. Improvement the stones relates to reduced urine amount or increased removal of stone-forming elements such as calcium, oxalate, urate, cystine, xanthine, and phosphate. The stones form in the urine collecting location (the pelvis) regarding the kidney and may range in dimensions from little to staghorn stones how big the renal pelvis it self . The pain sensation is generally of unexpected onset, really extreme and colicky (intermittent), perhaps not enhanced by alterations in place, radiating from straight back, along the flank, and to the groin. Sickness and nausea are typical. Predisposing factors can include present decrease in fluid consumption, increased exercise with dehydration, medications that cause hyperuricemia (high uric-acid) and a brief history of gout. Treatment includes relief of pain, moisture and, if you have concurrent urinary disease, antibiotics. The majority of rocks pass spontaneously within 48 hours. But some rocks might not. There are several aspects which manipulate the ability to pass a stone. These generally include the size of the person, previous stone passage, prostate enlargement, pregnancy, additionally the size of the stone. A 4 mm stone has an 80per cent chance of passage while a 5 mm stone has a 20per cent chance. If a stone doesn't pass, urologic intervention may be required. The process of stone formation normally known as nephrolithiasis or urolithiasis. "Nephrolithiasis" comes from the Greek nephros- (kidney) + lithos (stone) = renal rock "Urolithiasis" is from French term "urine" which, consequently, stems from the Latin "urina" as well as the Greek "ouron" meaning urine = urine stone.