overly hot as a broiling sun
- cooking by direct exposure to radiant-heat (as over a fire or under a grill)
- of Broil
- Excessively hot; as, a broiling sun.
- The act of causing almost anything to broil.
Using heat radiating from an overhead resource to cook meals (many home ovens are equipped with a broiler function); a dry-heat cooking method
(p. pr. & vb. n.) of Broil
- (a.) Excessively hot; as, a broiling sunlight.
- (letter.) The act of causing anything to broil.
And as for going as cook,--though I confess there is considerable glory in that, a cook being a sort of officer on ship-board--yet, somehow, I never fancied broiling fowls;--though once broiled, judiciously buttered, and judgmatically salted and peppered, there is no one who will speak more respectfully, not to say reverentially, of a broiled fowl than I will.