Of or related to Asia or even to its residents
- of or relating to or characteristic of Asia or even the individuals of Asia or their languages or culture
- a native or inhabitant of Asia
- Of or with respect to Asia or to its inhabitants.
- A native, or one of the folks, of Asia.
1630s, from Latin Asiaticus (surname of Latin Corn. Scipio), from Greek Asiatikos, from Asia (see Asia; also compare Asian). As a noun, by 1763. In old Rome, Asiatici oratores was florid and overly embellished prose.
(a.) Of or with respect to Asia or to its residents.
- (letter.) A native, or one of many folks, of Asia.
Very different, on the other hand, is the condition of things in Australia and Papua, where marsupials (and monotremes) are the dominant forms of mammalian life, the placentals being represented (apart from bats, which are mainly of an Asiatic type) only by a number of more or less aberrant rodents belonging to the mouse-tribe, and in Australia by the dingo, or native dog, and in New Guinea by a wild pig.